Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a sign?

Fill out this form here.

How can I download the Love Lives Here in Arlington sign graphics?

You can get them here.

How do I join/get involved?

We are always looking for volunteers to help out with our events. Please see our News tab under Resources for current volunteer opportunities. We also currently have 1 open position on the Commission. If you are interested in applying to be a Commissioner, please send a letter of interest and resume to Christine Bongiorno, Director of Health and Human Services for the Town of Arlinton.

How do I get in touch with Commission?

Please use this form to get in touch with us. You can also email us or call. Our meetings are also open to the public, but we recommend contacting us in advance if you are planning to attend a meeting, as we have a limited amount of time allotted for Public Participation at each meeting. If you do decide to attend a meeting, please read through the protocols for Public Participation in advance.  

What are the differences between human rights and civil rights?

Human rights are those freedoms that all people have regardless of nationality. The United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights can be found here.


Civil rights are those freedoms bestowed by a government to its citizens. In Massachusetts equal rights are guaranteed in specific settings and circumstances: Education, Employment, Housing, Lending, and Public Accommodation.  For further information visit this site. More information regarding MA civil rights can be found here.

What is a protected class?

A protected class is a group of people that is protected, by civil rights laws, from discrimination in accessing education, employment, housing, financial services, healthcare, transportation, voting, marriage, free speech, and privacy. Current federal protected classes include: race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, disability, familial status, and national origin. In Massachusetts, which has its own codified series of protected classes in law, “sexual orientation” includes people who are transgender.

What should I do when I see/hear someone expressing bias/hate?

Before responding, one should always assess the situation for danger. If it is deemed safe to respond, it is suggested that one focus on the individual targeted. This minimizes confrontation with the person expressing bias, reinforces that not all people share those thoughts, and builds a sense of community. 

When should I call the police?

If you think the police may be helpful, then you should call. Former APD Chief Ryan says, “We would much rather be called and not needed, than not called and needed.”

What preliminary information do I need to provide the Commission in filing my complaint?

A written complaint must include a statement of the particulars including, if known, the name and address of the person alleged to have committed such violation. Upon receipt, the Commission may request further information. The complaint form may be received by downloading it here, or by emailing a request to

I want help, but I don’t want to make a formal complaint. Is there any other way the AHRC can help?

The AHRC will work with you to provide support and seek alternatives to the formal complaint process.